Programming challenges



In April this year I started my beginner course in Android programming at Udacity. It was somehow bumpy experience. Especially because the course materials, the video tutorials in particular, were outdated (some were created in 2014 when the stand of Android was far in the past). Google/Udacity didn't bother to upgrade the course, but they allow people to enroll.

Why was this an issue? Because along the way there were a lot incompatibility which created a lot issues in the Android Studio and Gradle system. Facing those issues as a beginner was not as simple as googling it. The tutors would say google the solution on stockoverflow. And as soon as you arrive there you are confronted by answers which are not for beginners in mind. The tutors were very quick in response, but they don't give you the answers, they just tell you to google and search stockoverflow (Hmmm... ).

However the main challenge of the programme was that as soon as I graduated I found out Google had made Kotlin first and recommended "modern" approach. When I started writing my apps I had to forget the things I had learnt and tried to implement that "modern" approach, i.e. the whole MVVM/Android Architecture Components things.

And alas... the majority of tutorials about MVVM/AC are written in Kotlin. Again as a beginner you were just introduced to Java and started coding in that language, but the tutorials are in Kotlin language.....

Therefore I am trying to put Java aside for a moment and starting learning Kotlin (although I'm also looking into Flutter). So exciting times ahead....